Ty Crawshay Phases 1 & 2 Post Graduate Centre and Law School, University of Glamorgan Treforest Campus
The historic building of Ty Crawshay dates back to the early 1800's and is a former home of the school of mines. Both phases included the refurbishment of the building with structural modification to provide the required space planning to accommodate a cafe, mock law court, spacious open plan learning areas, meeting rooms, reception and study areas.
The existing buildings consist of a two and three storey masonry type building with in-situ concrete floors supported on a mixture of masonry walls and concrete reinforced columns.
The structural modifications required assessment of the existing building to allow removal of key structural walls and replacement with new structural steelwork beams and columns. Rearrangement of internal staircase / reception. Due to the change of uses, loading assessments of capacity of the existing floors were undertaken to suit the various uses of the building.
This project is relevant on the basis of its comparison of a refurbishment project of an existing building requiring a civil and structural understanding of the structural constraints and form of the building. Identifying key aspects of the structure in the structural assessment and where possibly further investigations may be required. Working and designing solutions withing an active campus environment with close collaboration with client bodies, design team and contractor.
Successful delivery of this scheme also resulted in continued business with the University for Shear Design with direct involvement with other refurbishment schemes on the Treforest campus, including refurbishment of Block X into the multifaith centre and loading assessments of the Sports Hall roof for graduating lighting.
Shear design were also appointed Engineers for the Student Union Building completed in August 2012 with sustainability BREEAM "Very Good" rating and winner of RIBA Awards 2011 - Innovative Design.