Morgannwyd Building, Block B, University of South Wales
Work is underway on the £5.25m development of B Block in Treforest to create a new, modern and highly visible frontage for the University's main campus
The project will deliver enhanced student facilities as well as greatly improving the University’s profile from Llantwit Road into a modern, distinctive higher education institution.
The construction is taking place under a JCT 2005 standard form of building contract with quantities and is similar in many ways to the proposed Phase 4 and 5 works at Pembrokeshire College.
Key aspects of the project include:
- • Demolition of parts of the building to make way for a new 304-seat, state-of-the-art lecture theatre.
- • Transformed elevations into spacious glass fronted lobbies.
- • Large scale refurbishment to create a series of new and modern multipurpose teaching facilities. Flexible, open plan office space will also be created for some support departments.
- •This development forms part of the University’s ongoing £130m investment in its campuses to create modern facilities for students and staff.
Shear Design have been involved in all phases of this project, from feasibility through to the on-going construction. Services provided include:
- • Structural surveys
- • Design of structural modifications for refurbishment elements
- • New build foundations and superstructure
- • Modification of existing drainage and external areas
- • Design of new drainage, attenuation and external areas of hard standing
Testimonial from Wyn Williams, Deputy Head of Estates “Shear Design have been working for the University of South Wales on a regular basis since their formation in 2005 and they are amongst our most regularly employed professional services consultant.
We have instructed Shear Design on many of our most prestigious schemes over the last seven years including the Students Union at ATRiuM in Cardiff, the South Wales Sport Centre and football academy in Treforest and both phases of the Ty Crawshay Law School development.
In the last three years Shear Design have designed our award winning £5.3.M Students Centre at the Treforest campus and are currently employed as the civil and structural engineers on our £6M Brecon Building refurbishment scheme.
Design and construction work at the University of South Wales is often heavily influenced by term times, access and timetabling and in all cases requires careful consideration of the live campus environment. Shear Design offer a very flexible proactive and reactive service and fit in very well without operational constraints. They also communicate well with our various stakeholders which, combined with the good quality design on offer has been key to their success in securing repeat business with us.”
- Client: University of South Wales
- Principal Contractor: Lawray Partnership
- Value: £5.3 million
- Project Period: 2010 - Present
- BREEAM Rating: Excellent